Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Shepherd's Pie





Shepherd's Pie 

I used to order this whenever I went out for Irish food. Now I can make a casserole, and eat on it for lunch-leftovers the next day or two (so now when we go out, I just get the burger).  A lot of times when I'm making this casserole, I brown the beef earlier in the day, add the soup, and stick it in the fridge. Then all you have to do at dinnertime is the mashed potatoes and pop it into your oven.


Shepherd's Pie

1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 diced onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
(I use 1/2 26 oz. can, meaning approx. 13 oz.)
Frozen Mixed Veggies- corn, peas, carrots, and green beans
3-4 Large Russet Potatoes, mashed
Milk to taste
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Mozzarella or Cheddar, shredded
Parmesan, grated


1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Brown your ground beef, and as the grease cooks out, add your diced onion.
3. Drain, and add cream of mushroom soup.
4. Put in casserole.
5. Thaw mixed veggies in the microwave, add salt and pepper and layer onto your beef mixture.
6. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into large slices and boil for about 8-10 minutes, until just soft.
7. Drain water, add milk and butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Mash as you stir this in.
8. Layer your potatoes, top with cheese, and pop into oven for 30 minutes.
9. Before taking it out of the oven, turn on the broiler to get your cheese a tiny bit browned.

I think my fave thing about this recipe is that it is good for all ages. Our one-year-old just gobbles it down. And serve it with a slice of multigrain bread, and that's it. (Ok, maybe some pudding for dessert). Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment